Location: Breakout Hall – Tuesday 16th October – 12:50 PM – 01:50 PM
Workshop 4: Breaking the chain of Infection in the Environment of care. Challenges & Solutions
The healthcare environment poses multiple challenges in mitigating infection risk. Surfaces, water, air, biofilm, waste, construction and extraordinary events – e.g. MERS CoV surge demand on facilities. Evidence of risk factors and mitigation will be presented, including examples of practical solutions for infection preventionists and leadership of the environmental support services.
Benefit of Attending
A review of environmental research identifying the current and emerging risks of infection from the built environment.
- Examples of remedial and case studies from UK, UAE and KSA
- Identification of priority areas for Infection Control Risk Assessment (ICRA).
- Quality Improvement and challenges to be overcome to achieve successful implementation.
- Team building an expanded infection prevention team to include front line cleaning staff and maintenance engineers.
Brief Summary of Content
- Identification of environmental risk factors and guidance for proactive risk mitigation
- Examples of Practical steps for Performance and Quality Improvement (EQIP Programme).
- Emergency preparedness, MERS CoV lessons learned.
- Environmental Support Services and Engineering – Training, competency and compliance
Michael Rollins, Consultant Healthcare Environment Infection Prevention